Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Peer Review

I have not worked with a peer review before.  I am nervous and curious to see how the entire situation works.  I am waiting until tomorrow to finish my discussion and review two students' papers.  It will be difficult to review somebody else's work.  I don't want to offend anyone.  I don't think I will, but I will be very cautious.  I will think about what I have to say before I say it for sure.  I am also nervous because I have never had anybody really read my work other than a teacher.  I have had people read papers but always somebody I knew.  I don't know if they ever gave me an honest response.  I guess I look forward to the honest response from my peers.  Hopefully if will improve my writing process.   Who out there has had paper reviewed by a peer that they have never met?  It is sort of a raw experience.  Is it easier to tell the truth when you do not know the person?  Or is it easier to lie?  This sort of peer review could have ups and downs, I think.

1 comment:

  1. Dylan,
    In response to your fears about the peer review, the only thing you need to worry about is answering the questions the best that you can. Peer reviews are excellent learning tools at the best of times but in this online arena it is nothing to be afraid of. Just concentrate on the questions and answer them as honestly as you can. I have found in my life that when someone tells you something about yourself that you don't like, the first response is anger. Anger is just fear turned inwards. When you chew on the information a little, then you can either swallow it or spit it out :) Does that make sense? You've never met me so how do you know whether or not I'll be too judgemental or offend you? Honesty is still the best policy. I was once told that it is better to use tact than tacks so when you do your reviews, just think about how you would like someone to review your draft :) Good luck! It will be better than you think!

    ReplyDelete