Who do you think will win the Super Bowl?

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Oprah Got Swindled

In 2005 Oprah professed her utter love for the book "A Million Little Pieces".  She had the author on her show while the book was spending numerous weeks at the top of the sales charts.  Little did Oprah know that the entire book had been embellished, if it wasn't a flat out lie.   There was a huge scandal and Oprah went on the air and basically cursed the author and said he should be ashamed of himself.  Now, I am not sure that was the best way to handle the situation, but whatever, its Oprah.  And I don't know what else happened to that author other than nobody buying anything he writes ever again.  The whole situation was funny to me.  However, it is a rather serious situation.  Millions of dollars were paid to read about A Million Pieces of Bull Sh*t.  I would be mad if I had read the book before the truth came out.  I would have demanded my money back.  Now I don't know if the store would just have to eat it on that or not.  But they should make the author give back those fat checks he had been lining his pockets with.  Hilarious.

GEAUX SAINTS!!!  Gametime 1pm ET @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers

1 comment:

  1. What I do not understand about that incident is why did the author not just market his book as fiction? The question then becomes if one writes a book "loosely based" on one's life, but embellishes a bit, should one always market it as fiction even though it is auto-biographical? How does one classify embellished auto-biography? In his case, he just was not honest enough before marketing.

    ReplyDelete